Saturday, September 17, 2011

Simple Scones

This has to be the simplest scone recipe I have ever found. It works really well and to be honest goes against the general theory.

I was given a baking book by Paul Hollywood which I have to say is very good and as I was thumbing through this morning I happened on his scone recipe. I am familiar with the traditional way of making scones which involves mixing flour and cold butter together to form crumbs but his technique was different I had to give it a try


  • 1lb 2oz of String White Flour
  • 2 medium eggs beaten (plus 1 more egg for an egg wash)
  • 3oz of sugar (caster or bakers sugar if you have it)
  • 1oz of baking powder
  • 3oz of butter (softened! - use microwave)
  • 8fl oz milk
  • 3.5 oz of Raisins (optional --- but why not)
So here is the procedure. 

  1. Put all the ingredients (except egg wash and raisins) and put them in a mixer with a paddle attachment. or put them in a bowl and use your hands/spoon
  2. Mix on low speed for 2 mins - 5 mins if by hand
  3. combine the raisins if using
  4. Scoop out onto lightly floured surface and pat/roll in to a rectangle about 2 inch thick. 
  5. Cut out scones (use a 2 - 3 inch cutter and cut straight down, no twisting!)
  6. Place on a parchment lined baking tray and egg wash the tops (no dripping down the sides)
  7. Place in the refrigerator for 30mins while you heat the oven to 425F.
  8. After 30 mins egg wash again and then place in oven for 15 mins.
 As you can see they turned out great. This is now my go to recipe for scones.

No comments: